Friday, January 29, 2010

Rough One . . .

So this week has kinda been a rough one for me. I knew that this semester was going to get hard because Doug is taking quite a few credits and doing his internship. For the first few weeks I didn"t think that it would be that bad but then this week hit. . . Its been rough:) Doug usually leaves for school between seven or eight and doesn't get home until about ten EVERYDAY! Its kind of hard on me not seeing him, taking care of Krew all day, and working 50hrs. a week! I find myself pretty much always on edge and wondering is this really worth it? Well I had heard that the devotional at BYUI was really good this week so I looked it up online and it was really comforting to me. It was a talk entitled "Education: A Religious Responsibility" Here is a few of my fav. parts:

Our Creator expects His children everywhere to gain an education as a personal endeavor. He issued this commandment: “Seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith” (D&C 88:118; emphasis added). When you leave this frail existence, your material possessions will remain here, but the Lord has declared that the knowledge you acquire here will rise with you in the resurrection (see D&C 130:18–19). In light of this celestial perspective, if you impulsively drop out or otherwise cut short your education, you would not only disregard a divine decree but also abbreviate your own eternal potential.



Each one of you may have had or will yet have your own day of personal commitment—your own scholastic Sacred Grove equivalent. I still remember my moment of resolution. Many years ago, as an untrained teenager, I secured temporary employment at Christmastime. The work was dull, repetitive, and monotonous. Each hour of the day passed slowly. I resolved then and there that I would obtain an education that would qualify me for more meaningful work in my life. I determined that I would become a doctor of medicine.



Many years later, when I was serving both as a medical doctor and a stake president, I chatted with many young people about their personal educational pursuits. Some asked me how long it took to become a doctor of medicine. I replied, “The general pattern would be four years at a university, followed by four years in medical school. And, should you choose to specialize, that could add another five years or more.



My words would often evoke a response like, “You mean . . . ? Why, that adds up to 13 years—and maybe more? That’s too long for me!”



“That all depends,” I would respond. “Preparation for your career is not too long if you know what you want to do with your life. How old will you be 13 years from now if you don’t pursue your education? Just as old, whether or not you become what you want to be!”



So my counsel then—and now—is to continue your education, wherever you are, whatever your interest and opportunity may be. Determine how you can best serve your family and society and prepare well.



Regardless of your personal choice of career, your education is the key.


. . . Ok so after hearing that come straight from an apostle I'm pretty sure that having Doug in school will pay off. . . someday.:)The more I think about it the more I'm glad that I'm so busy because it makes the time go faster. I'm also thankful for my education and I'm glad that I can support my family at this stage in our life. I'm also greatfull that Doug is so ambitious. I guess I just need to step back and be thankful for a min. I hope that These words help anyone else who is having a rough time with school right now. Its sure a testimony builder to me and I know this is right where Heavenly Father would have us right now.

ps. I usually have to pack Doug a lunch AND dinner to take to school. . ..he says he's getting sick of sandwiches :) Does anyone have any good "to go" or "on the road" foods that I can try? I need some Ideas!!

3 comments:

Camille said...

Wow. THat is so hard to be without him for so long every day. And I'm always so impressed with all you do to support your family financially, too. You are quite the woman! Those words of counsel are very good. Kinda make me feel guilty for not having more of a formal education. I just have to give myself the excuse that I'm getting a practical education every day!

Oh, I hear you on the lunch dilemma! I have heard those exact words from Paul. I always just make sure I pack him leftovers from the dinner before. I don't know if Doug has access to a microwave, though. That's a toughy.

So, we never see you guys with this busy schedule! You need to come on a Sunday. Let us know when Doug doesn't have meetings all day!

Missy said...

Well, I can definitely say that I know how it is. It is really hard when they are taking tough classes and have other things going on to get ready to apply to schools.
I really liked all the quotes from the devotional; it's always a good reminder. You can always come over and hang out with me, too ya know. :)

Jake and Cassie said...

Oooo, I know just how you feel! Times like these are when I wish I were magic and could just snap my fingers to make it be all over. Ha! The talk said it perfect though, "...if you impulsively drop out or otherwise cut short your education, you would not only disregard a divine decree but also abbreviate your own eternal potential." This is why I feel like I have to get my CPA. Yesterday my bishop said, "If you plan on going through life without trials and challenges, then you better make a new plan." Seriously Kate, you are the woman though! Between working 50 hour weeks and doing the mom thing, I don't know how you do it!

Next time you feel like you are going through one of those rough spots, give me a call. My work is slowing down, and I am just trying to get into a routine where I study at home. We sure miss you guys! Give Krew a kiss for me!